DazzleStar Hint Syntax
Hints are a new extension to the DazzleStar "breaks" file,
to allow giving hints for the code scanner.
- Add "AAAA" (code address) to the list of auxiliary (hidden)
entry points or functions. These are only scanned when the
menu item Disas->Scan Hints is selected, or
if the Disas->Apply Hint option is used to add it.
- All calls to the function (at address) "AAAA" have inline parameters
as described by "X". Inline paramaters directly follow the call instruction
but must be interpreted as data, not instructions.
These are only used during code scanning to insert breaks around the parameters.
The following are valid forms for "X":
- A 'B' break of number bytes in length.
- A 'B' break of either number or number+1 bytes in length.
First byte bit 7 is "0" if an additional byte is present.
This option exists to aid in disassembly of DZ.COM and is probably not
a general programming style.
- Parameter is a NUL-terminated string ('0' break).
- Parameter is a '$'-terminated string ('$' break).
- Parameter is a bit7-terminated string
(bit 7 is "1" on last byte of string) ('7' break).
- Parameter is a single 'L' break (label).
- First byte is the length (plus one) ('B' break).
These hints are only used by the code scanner.
They enable the Disas->Scan Hints menu item,
and result in insertion of breaks when a matching instruction is scanned.
Note that the Disas->Apply Hint option adds a single hint,
but will scan the program to apply that hint.
Note that hints are not case-sensitive. All addresses (e.g. "AAAA")
are hexadecimal. For programs with multiple segments, addresses may have a fifth
digit in order to uniquely identify them to their segment. Segment numbers
are specific to the particular program being disassembled.